Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mushroom Risotto

Risotto has been on my "bucket" list of things to cook ever since I've watched it being made in Hell's Kitchen.  It gets sent back more often then it gets served there, so I thought, just how hard is this recipe to do?  Maybe to Chef Ramsey's standards it might be hard, but my first attempt turned out creamy, well cooked and delicious!

I didn't follow any one recipe.  I read over the Joy of Cooking's basic Risotto, a recipe on AllRecipes and Jamie Oliver's Grilled Mushroom Risotto.  And then I set about to cooking.   Luckily Hilary was on hand because I completely forgot about adding in cheese at the very end.  She graciously grated it for me while I continued to stir.





Ingredients:

  • 1 cup mixed dry mushrooms
  • 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 cups arborio rice
  • 8 cups chicken stock, kept warm
  • 4-5 shallots, diced
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese


Steps:
  1. Soak dry mushrooms in warm water till soft.  Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid.  Cut mushrooms into small pieces.
  2. Sauté fresh mushrooms in some butter till well cooked.  Set aside, including all liquid.
  3. Sauté dried mushrooms for 2-3 minutes.  Add to fresh mushrooms
  4. Sauté shallots in remaining butter on low heat for 5-6 minutes.  Do not allow them to brown.
  5. Add uncooked rice.  Continue to sauté for 5-6 more minutes, until rice starts to appear translucent.
  6. Add reserved liquid from soaking the mushrooms.  Continue to stir till all liquid is absorbed.
  7. Add white wine.  Continue to stir till all liquid is absorbed.
  8. Add stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly.  As each 1/2 cup of liquid is absorbed, add more.   The rice will cook during this time and your risotto will develop a nice creamy texture.
  9. This should take about 25 minutes, but check the doneness of the rice periodically.  I did not need all 8 cups of stock before my rice was done.
  10. Add the mushrooms back into the rice just before it is completely cooked.
  11. Once the rice is done add in the Parmesan and stir well
  12. Serve.

1 comment:

  1. I love risotto but I hardly ever make it in my kitchen. Looking at yours made me think it over... looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete